Friday, January 2, 2009

Frayed Nerves

I just finished jumping rope --I am trying to keep warm while waiting for the repairman to show up and fix our heating system.  Yesterday afternoon it started making awful noises and to be safe we decided to switch it off. Its almost noon today and the repairmen haven't showed up yet. We have a few spot heaters out and running but its 34 F/ 2 C, cloudy and drizzling outside and about 50 F/ 10 C indoors (I keep checking the thermometer we have) and my nose and fingertips are just COLD :(  I have been alternating drinking a lot of hot coffee and tea (and even just hot water to keep my caffeine level under check!) I have rubbed my hands together vigorously and stood in front of the heaters but was still cold and so decided to jump rope to keep me warm.  My mind wandered all over the place as I was skipping rope and I suddenly remembered The Post done in color pencils a few years ago.  We live not too far from Colonial Williamsburg which showcases and interprets life as it was in the 18th century.  There are lots of horses in the colonial replica of the city and many posts to hitch them when they are resting. I loved the look of the weathered wood, frayed rope and the rusting metal chain and had to try and capture them on paper. 
The Post color pencils on colored paper. 9 x6"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely drawing. I have been wanting to see Colonial Williamsburg ever since reading about it in grade school! If we go to Washington this year, I am planning to make it a "must see". Looks like you will have a one year blogger anniversary this month. congratulations!

Meera Rao said...

Thank you! Actually, I signed on to blog in jan 08 but did not post anything till Nov 08 - for almost 11 months I didn't have the nerve to do it! But now I am glad because it forces me to practice and work on a piece everyday. Please do let me know when you come to this end of the world, I would love to meet you and show you around!

Anonymous said...

Love the art and your title and commentary shed light on your unheated waiting state.

Meera Rao said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...