Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Creative Spirit


I just finished this watercolor painting of a group of children playing street Cricket. I used  photographs taken a few years ago by my daughter and myself near St. Thomas Mount in Chennai, India as reference.  I played with the composition and moved some children around, changed what was beyond the gate and finally sketched it a few weeks ago. Only this morning I decided to take the plunge and paint.  And I still  wonder to this day why the kid was watching instead of being a part of the game. 

Play is crucial for fostering the creative spirit.   Childlike curiosity and passion lead to 'eureka' moments throughout history  and of course in  our everyday life in things big and small.  Here is a TED video of Vik Muniz, a Brazilian born, Brooklyn based artist. He uses everyday materials like cotton, sugar, wire, chocolate and thread etc in unexpected and playful ways  to create portraits, landscapes, still life.  I am feeling rather inadequate for using only good old watercolors!  

4 comments:

TSL said...

Meera, it was a very wonderful experience to come to your blog and view all the work you posted on two pages, and read a little about your life. I was very touched that you take time to share information as you do with your viewers. I love your colorful approach, and your butterfly is extremely beautiful, I would love to see more! Keep doing the wonderful things you are doing.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you very much for your encouragement and taking the time to visit my blog :) I really appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Very nice -- I feel as though I am standing with the boy observing the game down below.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you, Malini. It was fun painting to work on - especially because it brought back memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...