Friday, March 29, 2013

Learning from Great Drawings

Copy of Luca Camiaso's  'Christ leading the Calvary' 

Copy of Luca Cambiaso's ' Group of figures'

The sketches are my attempts at copying of drawings by Italian artist Luca Cambiaso (1527-1585) from the book 'Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters" by Robert Beverly Hale. The book analyzes 100 drawings and defines figure drawing fundamentals. The book looks into the works of Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Rodin, Goya, Rembrandt and others and shows in seven chapters  how these artists utilized basic concepts of line, light & planes, mass, Position Thrust or direction, and Artistic anatomy.

I have always had trouble with thinking in terms of simple masses and shapes when sketching.  I am hoping copying like this will help me see light values and seeing the simplest geometric forms in everything.  I noticed in the book there are block like, cylindrical and spherical styles of sketching. The book explains: " You soon realize that there are very few basic shapes in the universe and that there is a geometric relationship between the most diverse objects. the sea is but the skin of a sphere and is related to the spherical head of a pin."   I have had the book for many years but only recently decided I will start copying the various drawings in different styles to get practice -especially on those days when I have limited time and no idea for a daily sketch. 

Have you copied for practice master drawings or paintings? do you find the exercise useful learning tool? Love to hear your experiences! 

4 comments:

padmaja said...

I have always admired people who can copy because I cant., for some reason, I have not been able to copy, it is very strenuos for me. To learn, I can only "study" , it is a good way to learn by copying is what I have heard, nice attempts by you Meera.

Meera Rao said...

Padmaja, I agree with you -- for that reason I am grateful for 'artistic license'!!!

Introverted Art said...

this is pretty good. I love artistic license too... I just feel angry when people forget to credit it back ;-)

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Ana, I know what you mean. I am grateful for the inspiration from all around me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...