Friday, March 5, 2010

Masterful Storytelling

Kathakali is a beautiful form of dance-drama from the state of Kerala in India. In very expressive body language and precise hand movements called mudras, with extremely elaborate costumes and make up that enhances facial expressions, tales from the great Indian epics are told to melodious music and spirited percussion beats. For years these were usually all night performances, with the exciting climax coming at the wee hours of the morning.

I painted this face using some photographs and lots of memories as reference on a sheet of cold press watercolor paper on which I had done some calligraphy and rangoli painting. The colored words in this blog entry are links to various picture galleries and more information on Kathakali.

Face of a story watermedia 12x9"

10 comments:

Sujit Sudhi said...

Nice one. I like that expression.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you so very much! I enjoyed painting it too!

Rajeev Mohan said...

You have captured the moment brilliantly.

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Rajeev :)

FitFoodieMegha said...

Well captured moment! His eyes are very expressive. Well painted.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Megha --and I really appreciate your visit to my blog :)

Kathy Staicer said...

Your painting is very expressive and captures a feeling of your culture. Well done.

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Kathy! It was really fun to paint :)

Unknown said...

this is fantastic! i love the layering of calligraphy and rangoli beneath the painting. i have a batik of a kathakali dancer on my wall that i took from home. the expressions of the dancer and their face paint used to both frighten and fascinate me as a kid. it's so much fun to look through your blog. inspiring me to break out my watercolors. hope you're doing well! xo

Meera Rao said...

Its fantastic that you are breaking out the watercolors -- I am looking forward to seeing your work!!!! So happy that you enjoyed looking through my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...