Friday, August 30, 2013

To Savor The Tropics.

2013 India Sketch Journal Page 16 by Meera Rao

A major perk of tropics is the variety of delicious fruits and vegetable that are available throughout the year!  Just google tropical fruits and vegetables and you will amazed at the variety, colors, shapes and sizes of the produce! And the number of creative ways those fruits and vegetables have been cooked or prepared and served is mind blowing :) 

 2013 India Sketch Journal July 7 by Meera Rao

The Jackfruit is the king of fruits because of its size and that means ingenious ways of consuming it too! The fruit leather is delicious, and the desserts prepared from it seems endless.  My aunt often prepares these special sweet dumplings wrapped in teak leaves that gives it a wonderful aroma, color and flavor. A sketch of jackfruits and vendor from a few pages earlier can be seen here. 

 2013 India Sketch Journal July 8 by Meera Rao

More and more seedless varieties of fruits are available in the market and when I cut this pappaya I was pleasantly surprised to see the star shaped black seed studded center with orange around it.  I quickly took  a couple of photos and then pulled out my sketch book for a hurried sketch before I proceeded to cut it for breakfast :)  My mother-in-law usually likes her food at the allotted time but now has come to accept that I might pull my camera or the sketch book right in the middle of cooking or other chores and has come to accept that food, snack or drink may be delayed because of my passion and obsession :) 

6 comments:

padmaja said...

It is nature's art, I have come across the star in the papaya so many times, glad that you put it on your sketch pad, feel like having some now :-)

Krishna/കൃഷ്ണ said...

nice paintings...

thanks

Meera Rao said...

Thank you, Padmaja - it was a pleasant surprise to find seeded papaya in the age of seedless variety :)

Meera Rao said...

Krishna, your visit is much appreciated.

Kathy Staicer said...

Your jounal is so colorful. Your creative self just bursts out of you at all times.
I must apologize for not keeping up with your blog. But I hope to do better at it in the future.

Meera Rao said...

Kathy, thank you! glad to hear from you - I know you have had a tough year so far - wish you happier times to come.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...