Sunday, August 25, 2013

Spot on the Sidewalk

2013 India Sketch Journal Page 15 By Meera Rao
Most of the sidewalks are taken up by various  kinds of vendors - talk about niche marketing :) Often pedestrians do a delicate dance of walking -trying to avoid walking through a sidewalk shop's staked out area as well as the busy streets with teaming with all different kinds of vehicles! 

2013 India Sketch journal July 5 by Meera Rao

'Pani Puri' is a delicacy from north India and those vendors have the longest lines and best business! They sell  crisp fried hollow balls -puris that are then stuffed with tomatoes, onions, chick peas, green chillies coriander and dipped into spicy minty water. As much as I love the dish, I won't eat at any of these road side places because I am afraid of upsetting my stomach! I did not have a good view of the mountain of puris but you can check out my sketch from last year if you are curious. 

2013 India Sketch journal July 5 by Meera Rao

I passed this vendor and similar ones many times and couldn't figure out what he was selling.  Moreover I noticed  all his customers were men- and I always walked on the opposite side of the street to avoid that crowd.  When I asked my niece she laughed and said "No, Aunty, they sell 'paan' ingredients and tobacco products!" Then one day when running an errand, I was able to take a photograph from across the street, as unusually there were no customers around and my zoom lens caught the warning on the cart. "Paan" is another delicacy and not just eaten by men, but best not bought on the streets!!!! 

6 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Good day Meera, wonderful sketches today and I just love your commentary. I learn so much visiting you.

Sudha said...

Nice pictures of the sidewalk, I enjoyed looking at the details Meera

padmaja said...

Now days, I am looking forward so much to your sketch updates! Love both these footpath hazards!I never try the road stuff looking at the unclean everything, but seems like they taste best, better than hotels :-)

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Carol, as you may have noticed, I am learning a lot by having these new set of sketching eyes ;)

Meera Rao said...

Sudha, Thank you! Happy to know you have enjoyed my blog :)

Meera Rao said...

Padmaja, you know how to make my day :) Still have not tried anything sold on footpaths kiosks!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...