Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Sketching Outdoors

"Matteson Trail" En pleine aire sketch by Meera Rao

One beautiful day early in spring, during my daily walk I was inspired to stop and sketch the scenery. I usually carry a small 4x6 book of Arches post cards with me and on that day I had a pack of brand new Faber-Castell 6 PITT artist landscape pens that I wanted to try.  The trail was quiet with not too many walkers.  I leaned against a tree and spent a few minutes taking in the scene and then set to work. I was somewhat satisfied with my results. I later gave it a watercolor wash for sky and water -mainly to test and see if the pen marks would bleed. 

Here is a shaky photo I took with my phone before I continued with my walk -it was a challenge to hold the camera in one and the sketch in the other and manage to click :) 
  
I just finished reading an article 'From sketchbook to Studio"  by Iain Stewart in the June issue of Watercolor Artist. I like what he has to say about sketchbooks : "A sketchbook has no other responsibility than to serve you. It is completely private unless you decide to share. Safe from the critical eye of jurors, it is a place where you can explore with abandon all your ideas. It's also the best tool I can think of for preparing to work in the studio. "    His advice is to be 'an observer, an editor and a recorder'. He writes: " When I return to the studio, I find that those observations can serve as well or better than any of my photographs"   

Most importantly he states :"Don't let anything you do early in your process limit what decisions you make later in your painting. Be willing to change anything, but remember your game plan." 

5 comments:

ashok said...

nice one!

Jane said...

Lovely and fresh with a beautiful clean air !

padmaja said...

Beautifully done Meera, love the way you hold it against the real scene, I could relate it to your process fully, look forward to more !

Krishna/കൃഷ്ണ said...

Beautiful....

thanks

Sadami said...

Hi, Meera, Lovely paintings and so wise post! Congrats on your joining of the exhibition. Thank u for sharing Ian's writing!! I've been admiring him since school days. Meera, sketch books are artists' private room. "You do not need to show it to others," I heard it from an American artist in person more than 30 yrs ago. Keep up wonderful posts and work, Meera!
Best wishes, Sadami

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...