Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Reality Check!

 
India Art Journal Sept 6 2012 by Meera Rao
The house next door has a solar tank on its roof top and this is a pretty typical scene in and around Maisuru - conservation in electricity and water is quite widespread and people have adopted the solar water heaters widely.  Shortage of water, electricity, gasoline, and cooking gas is very acute in India and conservation and global warming is on everyone's mind!
 
India Art journal Sept 7 2012 by Meera Rao
 
This 'petrol bunk' is a landmark for giving directions to our flat and the orange accents of the building  contrasts starkly with the green of the trees all around it! 
 
 India Art Journal Sept 4,5,6,7 by Meera Rao
 
Here is the page with all four sketches together.  As I have mentioned before, I am way behind in posting and hope to catch up now that I am back in my home in USA.  I was fortunate to land in DC just before the airports were closed on sunday for the 1000 mile wide hurricane Sandy!  We drove back home to Poquson yesterday as Sandy left the area towards New Jersey.  I am very grateful that Sandy spared us major damage especially since we were not around to secure the house! Other than some flooding and debris in yard, our house and property is in tact; we have power, water and other amenities :) As others hard hit by the hurricane cope with the destruction my heart goes out to them.  I am deeply thankful for our luck as I  get busy unpacking, getting to laundry, mail, house back in working order and of course cleaning up the yard!
 
 
The following sketches are from july 10 -13 getting individual attention  from my original post The Kitchen is a Country. 
 
India art Journal July 10 2012 by Meera Rao
 
India Art Journal July 12 2012 by Meera Rao
 
India Art journal  July 11 2012 by Meera Rao
 
India Art Journal July 13 2012 by Meera Rao

8 comments:

Kathy Staicer said...

Welcome home Meera.
I have really enjoyed following your sketches. It's like veiwing snippets of life in India.

padmaja said...

That reminds me, our solar panel needs servicing! Otherwise, it is a totally hassle free investment and if you connect it well, you can use it for washing as well..beautiful sketch of the petrol bunk.. is it by any chance the one near Vikram hospital/Das Prakash Paradise?

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Kathy :) I am happy you enjoyed the snippets from India - i tried to sketch daily little vignetes

Meera Rao said...

Padmaja, its really neat that you too have solar panelfor hot water- so wonderful! we got those here in US a couple of years ago when earlier storms obliterated some more trees in our yard making it possible to instal solar panels on the roof :) That 'petrol bunk' is in Maisuru by our flat - and I wish there was a Das Prakash Paradise near by !!! That would have made life much easier the four months I was there.

Heera said...

Welcome home Meera. I love these sketches which really do capture India.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you @heera:) it was the best decision I made to sketch daily - really helped my outlook for four months I was there in caretaker role. So glad you have enjoyed my efforts ! Thanks again for your encouragement!

Krishna/കൃഷ്ണ said...

paintings on real life...

thanks...

Meera Rao said...

Thank you, Krishna :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...