Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Another Season

This is a small (5x9") painting I did on a whim couple of days ago on a piece of leftover paper. I used watercolors and watercolor pencils dipped in water to paint it. Because of the size of the paper, I had to simplify the scene, be selective and put in just enough elements to capture the essence of the landscape that is a familiar sight in rural India. I can see a lot of things I should /could have done differently but I think I also see a simple, quiet solitude in the scene.

I went in search of information and tips on landscape painting today and came across a good article in the Smithsonian Education web site. I will be going back there for more reading and learning. And, of course, I will keep on sketching and painting. Its comforting to know that even Paul Cezanne felt "Painting is damned difficult- you always think you've got it, but you haven't."

Another Season watercolors and watercolor pencil 5x9"

6 comments:

Kathy Staicer said...

Nice use of watercolors and watercolor pencils.
And of cource Cezanne was right. But isn't the journey fun?
I am not able to send comments on my blog so I wanted to touch base with you and let you know that the Opening Reception at the Gallery at East Beach is not until tomorrow July 10th from 6:00pm to 9:00 pm. Hope you can make it as it would be wonderful to get to meet you in person. But if not I'm sure our paths will cross at another time.

Meera Rao said...

Yes, definetely the journey is fun! Thanks! I just realized that I had not turned the calendar from June and thought your opening was on wednesday! But I won't be attending today since I dare not try to travel through the tunnel on a friday evening in summer :( Hope to be there sometime next week.

Tina said...

Meera, I love this post. I dabbled in water color and I found I didn't have the patience (don't mind admitting that) so I am glad you are enjoying them so well! Oh, and I love the Cezanne quote!!! I should hang that up for my frustrating days. BTW- the post under this, with the photo of the PA street and flags, I love it. My husband and I stopped in a town in PA, Carlisle, LOVED IT! So America! Do you know it?

thiliMy said...

lovely, lively colors on this! the playful/abstract effect is nice

Meera Rao said...

Tina, thank you for your comments and I am happy you like the paintings and the Cezanne quote too :)

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Thilii, I painting it too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...