Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Shadows Dancing In Morning Light

Gopura: Shadows dancing in morning light  pen and ink by Meera Rao

My cousin told us about a staircase to the roof of one of the buildings in the Sri Rangam temple complex tucked away in an obscure corner. Of course we had to check it out ! The view from the roof was stunning. On one side was one of the 7 Gopuras.  I loved how the morning light lit the Gopura and the long shadows of a couple of people in the courtyard. 

I kept erasing more than I was drawing when I started out.  In frustration I decided to abandon the pencil and go with the pen and commit to the lines. I was surprised and pleased how the sketch started flowing after that. I used a brush pen with black ink to work on the shadows - my plan was to paint with watercolors to complete the sketch. My hubby who is usually my best critique, at that point checking on the progress said ‘I think you should stop after this and not add color’  I am happy I did :) 

4 comments:

ashok said...

Fascinating!

Sadami said...

Dear Meera, Wow, your black and white is a masterpiece! The colour work on this architecture is well organised though, black and white, too, is challenging. Good on you! Please take it easy. I'm wondering if I were you, how I could tackle it. Meera, you're great!! Best wishes, Sadami

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Ashok :)

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Sadami - I am grateful for your encouraging comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...