Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Shaping that Artwork

Strewn watercolor and ink on Yupo 8x8 by Meera Rao 

See with one eye 
Feel with the other 
~Paul Klee~

I am always amazed how often during the painting process I feel my work is on the brink of collapse. And that often gives me the freedom to try out new possibilities. I feel I have nothing to loose.  I take on the challenge of seeing if there is a way out of the hole I have painted myself into ! In Art and Fear the authors David Bayles and Ted Orland write: "Look at your art and it tells you how it is when you hold back or when you embrace. When you are lazy, your art is lazy; when you hold back, it holds back; when you hesitate, it stands there staring, hands in its pockets. But when you commit, it comes on like blazes"  

Of course, I have a long way to go! Meanwhile, with brush in hand I explore - balancing my feelings of competency and inadequacy, fear and courage, passion and desire. It is a special moment indeed when I discover a different ending.

4 comments:

padmaja said...

Beautiful work and words Meera! I just let go of my fear of failure. As long as I have the courage to deal with other people judging me, I have the freedom to create the way that may not end up with satisfaction, but that makes me learn a few things. Nice post Meera!

ashok said...

Nicely composed Meera

Meera Rao said...

Wise words, Padmaja! Thank you !

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Ashok :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...