Saturday, January 6, 2018

Taking Chances in the New Year

Collage of sketches Jan 1 -6 2018 

The first week of drawings followed the "not every drawing needs to be a finished work of art" tip. So I filled the pages with bits and pieces of things in my day forcing me to be mindful about my surroundings and experiences. 

Sketch book page by Meera Rao

The excitement of a new sketchbook and trying to figure out how I wanted to sketch each day had me experimenting this first week with a visual journal model. I tried mini sketches the first three days - but soon discovered that was not easily sustainable over long term !

Sketch book page by Meera Rao

I also discovered this book takes only very light watercolor washes -- so I soon resorted to graphites, Prismacolor and brush pens.


Sketch book page by Meera Rao

I tried to add a quote some days to jump start an idea for the page-- as William Faulkner said " Take chances. It may be the only way you can do anything really good."   Looking at these pages, I feel I should give more thought to how to compose each page, to the writings and penmanship as well. But right now I am just sketching and hoping to keep up with it every day!

Sketch book page by Meera Rao

The past three days, I experimented with just one sketch each day to capture the essence of the day.  The 'Bomb cyclone' has meant very frigid temperatures but fortunately there was only an inch of snow in DC where we spent the week with our grandchildren. I sketched them doing a fashion show,  their art work,  toy etc.. Cooped up indoors with them, my husband and I supervised their melted crayon art, sketched with them.  I also was a scribe for their illustrated books :) 

Finally, this post is a start on my ambition of more regular posting on the blog.

6 comments:

Sadami said...

Meera, what a lovely post full of wonderful sketches! Yes, keep up regular updating. It's not easy. I hope you will make it happn!! Best wishes, Sadami

ashok said...

Happy New year Meera

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Sadami :) I always appreciate your comments !

Meera Rao said...

Ashok, Thank you and wish you the same :)

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi Meera, it is always fun to see your sketchbook pages. Happy new year.

padmaja said...

Very interesting post Meera, wishing you a great creative year ahead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...