Monday, May 6, 2013

The Art of Listening

sketch in pen by Meera Rao

I discovered that sketching and listening to a lecture are not compatible for me when I did this piece a while ago.  He was talking about physics & philosophy and soon I realized that I was so deeply engrossed in observing his features, light, shadows etc that I was not  'listening' to his points at all!  Usually I listen to Public radio talk programs and draw, sketch or paint without any problem.  On this particular instance though, I failed miserably at multitasking :) I then closed by sketch book, put my pen away and concentrated on his talk. This really made me wonder how much of those radio programs do I really 'hear'!!!  I can't remember much of what he said but my takeaway from that day is that true listening requires concentration and processing :).  No wonder it is called the 'art of listening.' 

7 comments:

padmaja said...

Nice sketch with spontaneous lines Meera!
I think the only thing I am good at is listening and I do it all the time! But you can give yourself a benefit of doubt since you were sketching and you were focused on it :-)

Carol Blackburn said...

Good one Meera! You explained that perfectly. Love your sketch too. That is one reason making eye contact is so important when conversing with someone. Happy Day!

AK said...

That reminds me of my school days Meera. I must have made caricatures of all my teachers while they were teaching. Needless to say I hardly heard what they were saying. I have tried it in some office meetings and briefings also. The result is always the same! Enjoy yr sketching.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Padmaja - that is one of way of looking at things :)

Meera Rao said...

Carol, thanks -- you have given a great tip about how to really listen!

Meera Rao said...

AK, I know what you mean! But I bet you had plenty of admirers among your class mates ;)

Sadami said...

ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ·.•*•♫°•♫·.•ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ Meera, tahnk u for a lovely drawing and an interesting post! Well, "sounds" you're very wise and clever!
Cheers, Sadami

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...