Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Slice of Life

 
India Art Journal July 30,31, Aug 1, 2 by Meera Rao
 
"Then India, everyone has his own idea of India" - J Milton Hayes.
 
Tata Nano car is considered the cheapest car in the world and I see quite a few of them on the road. I have not ridden or checked out one but they definetely have the 'cute factor'!
 
Most of the pots in India don't have handles and these chimtas or tongs are a must in the kitchen to handle the hot pots and covers.
 
The parrots cause a ruckus at dawn and dusk with their chirping and swooping about. They love to perch on the coconut palm fonds. I have not figured out what is it about the coconut tree that these birds love.  I do like waking up to hearing them noisily flying around from tree to tree.
 
Rakhee celebrates the bond between brothers and sisters. Sisters tie the 'rakhee' on to brothers's wrists and each assure the other to protect and love forever.  Its an ancient custom performed once a year. Until recently the custom  was prevalent mainly in Northern India but now it is celebrated throughout the country. Born and brought up in the south, growing up, I was not familiar with the custom other than having watched it in a Hindi movie or two. Days and weeks before the special day shops were filled with variety of bracelets for purchase. I was amazed at the beauty and abundance of the bracelets for sale everywhere!  This year Rakhee day was celebrated on Aug 2.



4 comments:

irinapictures said...

I like the idea of tongs so much. And its realization in painting too!
Tata Nano reminded me of Autosalon in Moscow several years ago.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Irina ;) I think the Tata Nano has been in the news for a while! I love the tongs too - they are really handy and I enjoyed sketching them !

padmaja said...

I love the collection of nature, culture and technology here! Yes, the parrots love the coconut trees, dont know why! Nano looks cute and convenient for Indian roads.
I am back to happy commenting :-)

Meera Rao said...

Thanks, Padmaja :) I am glad you are back to commenting -- I enjoy your feed back! Parrots' love for coconut tree is so much that they were back to the tree even after the tree top was lopped off. as you might have noticed in my sketch, the tree had too many browning fonds and I guess the owners decided to chop it off rather than risk injury to anyone near by...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...