Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Spectacular Images

A Day In the Life..Full of Surprises  page11 color pencils

I am waiting for The Art House Co Op to finish revamping their website and for my project A Day in the Life -in Blue Jeans With Gold Embroidery  to be added to their digital library. I am also hoping their scanned online versions are better than mine :).  

Even as I am pleased to have completed writing and illustrating  a small book for the Fiction Project, I am fascinated by what I read and see on their site about how some artists challenged themselves to take their art to new level by changing the paper in the moleskine journals or turning it into an accordion book etc., transforming the materials they were given. I just watched a TED talk by artist Janet Echelman on 'Taking Imagination Seriously.' I am in awe of her creativity and drive to pursue her unbelievably big imagination! I also really like how she combines science and art in her work. Having just returned from Chicago last month, where Anish Kapoor has his sculpture the Bean/cloud, I wonder how does one come up with work of art that scale and magnitude that boggles the mind? Is it a different level of risk taking, resourcefulness, determination, tenacity  combined with  the serendipity of being in the right place at the right time and to know to seize upon the opportunity presented?  And does it have to be  really spectacular or it is not imagination taken to the edge?  

8 comments:

Kathy Staicer said...

Another beautiful sketch. It really captures the Christmas cactus in a very delicate way. Good work as usual.

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Kathy! I enjoyed doing the page :)

Sanctified Spaces said...

That is great news both the fiction book and the addition to the digital library. let me know the title of the book I can take a look.

Meera Rao said...

@Sanctified spaces, Thank you :) I will definitely let everyone know when its online at the Arthouse Co-0p :)

Hema Penmetsa said...

I remember the actual picture of the cactus you posted a few months ago. Your sketch does justice to the beautiful blooms!

Meera Rao said...

Thank you so very much, Hema! that is pretty impressive that you remembered the photo from Christmas! I really appreciate your comments:)

Thaikaden said...

Nice work.(I've got one at my house)

Meera Rao said...

@Thaikden, thanks! Christmas cactus is beautiful when its blooming isn't it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...