Friday, May 7, 2010

Weed or Wildflower?

Whispers By the Blades of Grass watercolor 22"x30"

In this painting of the 'Henbit', I took some liberties and didn't adhere to the pink / reddish purple of the petals that you find in nature. I took the little flowering plant and enlarged it in my drawing many many times its usual size :) As is my natural inclination, I then filled the paper with color and pattern!

Living close to the water, we try to limit our use of chemicals in the yard as much as possible. This means we have pink clovers, purple henbits, yellow dandelions and buttercups, white sundews etc. sprinkled around the 'lawn' making me often wonder about the difference between a weed and a wildflower. When our daughter was a young child, she would often insist that her Dad mow the grass around the blooming clovers or buttercups and he always happily obliged giving the yard a checkered look of colors! As Ralph Waldo Emerson said " What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered." Or from A.A. Milne : " Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them."

Whispers by the Blades of Grass watercolor 22"x30"

12 comments:

Heera said...

Beautiful thought! about weeds. Beautiful painting too.

Meera Rao said...

Thanks :) -- weeds/wildflowers have a lot to teach us -don't they?

cathyswatercolors said...

LOve the colors and compostion. The blue makes it stand out and the random compostion is stunning.

Melanie Statnick said...

I really do like this. Its reafreashing to see this type of painting. I like when different colours are used to paint, flowers to make them appear, alive.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Cathy! I am happy you like the composition -- I had so many doubts about that :)

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Melanie! -- as I said my natural inclination is to fill a painting with patterns and color --and every so often I just give in and follow my instincts :)

Unknown said...

this is really beautiful....as close as one can get to self n nature...love the composition...and the vibrancy.....

Meera Rao said...

Thank you -- these comments mean a lot to me !

Nikhil Kardale said...

Nice observation and creativity. You sure added color, and more importantly - 'meaning'- to the flower!

Meera Rao said...

thanks Nikhil! and thanks for visiting my blog too.

Kathy Staicer said...

Beautiful colors.
Beautiful form.
and beautiful movement.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Kathy! This was fun to do :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...