Friday, January 22, 2010

Hurry up and Wait

I am finally getting a little bolder about opening my sketch book and recording a few things (as discretely as possible) while I wait at various places. We did a lot of 'hurry up and wait' at the different airports on our recent trip to India and this time I kept my sketch book handy. But, I discovered that I need to learn to 'speed sketch' so that I may quickly capture people on paper as they don't stay still long enough for my skill level! Of course, I pretend to be thinking and writing in a journal as I try hard not to appear to stare at anyone. So, I only used an ink pen to draw and that also meant I couldn't erase and had to live with any and all lines that I put down.

As I keep a sketch book more regularly and diligently, I am trying to decide if I want to record ideas and not worry about how my drawings look like or work on renderings that are presentable. I have been spending a lot of time browsing Urban sketchers looking at how artists around the world do it.

Or, I should just get over myself, not worry about the end result and enjoy the process.

4 comments:

Kathy Staicer said...

I think it's great that you are sketching. It is a habit that I need to get into. After all isn't it the best way to develop our drawing skills which are the basis of all our paintings?

Meera Rao said...

Kathy, I think sketching hones creativity as well basic drawing skills.

B said...

I think u should keep doing this, u have captured the essence of it all... the guy on the phone, the woman with the book :)

its lovely

Meera Rao said...

Thanks B!! I am never sure if I am fast enough to capture someone unsuspecting in their pose -- Its a challenge everytime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...