Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Zen of Seeing

"I have learned that what I have not drawn I have never really seen, and that when I start drawing an ordinary thing, I realize how extraordinary it is, sheer miracle. " ~Frederick Franck, The Zen of Seeing: Seeing and Drawing as a Meditation.

I have been following 'urbansketchers' for a while now -admiring and learning a lot about sketching and making drawings on the go. I decided to apply that to my sketches from Turkey. To my simple pen and ink sketches I added color with a dozen pastel and color pencils I had packed and was pleased with the result. It was exciting to discover a new way of sketching for me and will help me keep up with my art as I travel to India to visit my family for the next month and a half. The sketch above is a simple quick rendering of the scene at Anadolu Kabagi on the Bosphorous Cruise by the traditional ferryboat along the waterway that divides Europe and Asia. It was wonderful to sit on the deck taking in the beautiful summer day and just watch the scenery as we savored the authentic Turkish yogurt from a vendor who got on board at one of the stops.

This is my 100th post and I thank all of you who have visited my blog and encouraged my efforts. I really appreciate you spending your time with me here and am grateful for your comments. I do hope you will continue to stop by and let me know how I am faring. Once again my hearty thanks to all!!!

9 comments:

Meera Rao said...

Hi All, I don't know what happened to the font on the blog - just when I though 100 blogs and I think I have the hang of it!!!!- spent way too much time trying to fix it and then gave up! Hope I can get back to the regular set up when I start new again for next post. Thanks again!

cathyswatercolors said...

Hi Meera, enjoy your family and yes keep on sketching. Looking forward to your thoughtful posts.

malini said...

Catching up -- beautiful work and thoughtful blog! Congratulations.

Meera Rao said...

Thankyou Cathy -- I am looking forward to my trip :)

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Malini, I really appreciate all the encouragement that has come my way -- it really keeps me going.

thiliMy said...

I really like how dark the lines and bright these colors are -- Turkey was a great subject to try this style out on, and I think India will be too!

Unknown said...

Hi Meerakka
Love the fact that not only i get to see such good paintings and pictures ,I also get so much more info on varied topics.Hey hope u r coming to Delhi when in India.

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Mythili, I am happy you like it! I am looking forward to trying this in India too.

Meera Rao said...

Hi Kavita, thanks for your support! I don't think I will make it to Delhi this time -are coming down South? I missed by just a few days last time too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...