Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Bursting Colors


Bursting colors watercolor on Yupo  5x7"

For the past few days,  after  the relentless rains finally stopped, my walks on the trail have been especially  delightful with mushrooms of all sizes, colors and variety popping up just about everywhere! These colorful ones were peeking out through a mess of twigs, grass blades and rotting leaves. I put my small camera below the mushrooms close to the ground to capture the colorful specimens!  I am grateful that I slip my little camera with me whenever I get out.  I did not want to disturb them or pluck them out even though I would have liked to sketch them from life. Upon a bit of research I think they are a variety of Hygrocybe punicea  and probably not poisonous. 

I was not planning on filling up the paper with color but somehow got carried away! I loaded my brush with transparent colors, and used, brushstrokes, crushed paper tissue, and misting for texture. 

16 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Some pretty psychedelic mushrooms you have there....:)

Meera Rao said...

Aaaah, Carol, thanks! so thats what they are, eh?

Heera said...

Beautiful mushrooms Meera!

Crystal Cook said...

Oh meera this is beautiful!! I'm glad you got carried away with the colors, it looks wonderful! :))

padmaja said...

wow... wow.. the burst is absolutely gorgeous Meera.. I can sense your freedom of upbeat expression here!

Meera Rao said...

@Heera, Thanks Mangala, I hope to paint a few more soon :)

Meera Rao said...

Crystal, Thank you! they were indeed gorgeous bright orange peeking through the dense woodland floor!

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Padmaja. The colors just sing on Yupo and its hard to stop painting :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful mushrooms and painting

Meera Rao said...

Krishna, Thank you! I am happy you liked it

Thaikaden said...

Very nice. I like the burning colours of the mushrooms.

Meera Rao said...

@Thaikaden, I like how you said it 'burning colors' :) Come to think of it, they look like scattered glowing embers by the trail!

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful! You were so creative with the colors and you made those mushrooms come to life with joy and wonder. That's one of my favorite paintings of yours now!

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Katherine :) The mushrooms were indeed colorful and I had to do justice to them! I think nature does the best colors :)

me†al s†orm said...

Awesome work Meera!

Meera Rao said...

@metal storm, thank you :) I really appreciate your comment and for following my blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...