Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Sketching and Watching

Wright Brothers National Memorial,  Kitty Hawk, NC  watercolor 5.5x16.50" by Meera Rao 

Almost a month ago, we went to Kitty Hawk to Wright Brother's Memorial National Park to see the Eclipse.  It was a memorable experience. It was awe inspiring to check out the sun with the eclipse glasses. I also took along my colander and caught the eclipse through its holes.

Colander Eclipse Shadows  Photo By Meera Rao

I also made a pin hole camera with a box and poked a lot of different sized holes to look at the eclipse.  Where we were it was only 90% eclipse and we did not experience the darkness- only the temperatures dipped and it felt like cool evening !

Eclipse thru pinhole camera Photo by Meera Rao 

While I was waiting for the eclipse to start,  I sketched and painted the Wright Memorial. I also took some artistic license and moved their building and the markers closer to the Hill just so I could fit them in the paper :) If I had thought about it and really planned it right I could have sketched the memorial a bit more to the left. But adding the other buildings and  markers was an afterthought. It took me about an hour to sketch and paint. 

Wright Brothers National memorial, pen and watercolor  5.5x16.50"

6 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Wow, Meera....... I love the way you showed us the eclipse. That's your artistic talent coming through in other ways. So glad you shared them. I didn't get to see it and was curious. Have a great day.

Ankita said...

nice post! lovely artwork!

ashok said...

wow! interesting capture of the eclipse !

Meera Rao said...

Thank you, Carol :) It was exciting anticipating the eclipse and an aha moment when we realized only 100% coverage is the one that gives dramatic effect of darkness - which we did not have :(

Meera Rao said...

Ankita, Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Ashok :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...