Monday, July 31, 2017

A Tree for Life

Week 2 India 2017  sketches by Meera Rao

It was an exercise in seeing things with fresh eyes as I tried to think of things that my grandchildren might find interesting and different.  I note this as week 2 - but halfway through week-, I was sketching on different pages  trying for some organization.  So this page has mostly things coconut :) - the tree in the front yard and various things I encountered in daily life. We mainly know coconut used in cooking as coconut milk, coconut water, and coconut oil but coconut tree is a goldmine -every part of the tree is versatile and useful -- roots used as dyes,  leaves woven and used as thatching and awnings,  for brooms, trunks for buildings, in parquet flooring, coir from husks for ropes, mats; shells for various implements, as kindling, in arts and crafts etc etc. I sketched only a small fraction of those things.  






9 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi Meera, I had no idea the coconut tree was so wonderful. Thanks for sharing this information. I hope you have a great day.

Ankita said...

this looks so cool! random doodling is very relaxing!

padmaja said...

What a cool way to teach the grand kids through art! Hope you can publish some books for them?

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Carol! I get a better appreciation when I slow down and sketch :)

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Ankita :)

Meera Rao said...

Padmaja, I hope so --I am really confused about how to go about it !!!! Thank you for your support :)

Meera Rao said...

Ashok, you made my day --Thank you !!!!

Sadami said...

Lovely work, Meera! Your paintings and writings are full of love for nature and us, people. Best wishes, Sadami

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Sadami :) I always love your comments !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...